Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Bioshock Infinite

Ok, I've had a good 24 hours to pull myself together to talk rationally about Bioshock Infinite, and I've got to say--I'm still pretty stoked.  I have seen most of the videos and interviews and game plays online that have limited spoilers, so now that the game is out, I find that I'll have to limit myself even more in watching what's on YouTube.  The original Bioshock will always have a special place in my heart, but I can't help but be excited for Infinite.  According to their website, 5/8 of Infinite's reviews were perfect scores, and the 4/8 that weren't perfect would still count as an A in any calculus class that I know of.

For those of you who don't know much about Infinite, here's a super quick overview:
     You are playing as Booker DeWitt, an indebted former detective.  In order to pay off his debts, he must go to the lost city in the sky named Columbia.  Columbia was originally created in the late 1800s as a way to celebrate the success of the American experiment.  However, due to political differences, Columbia seceded from the United States and hasn't been seen since.  Your job is to find a girl named Elizabeth and bring her back to the US unharmed.  Elizabeth is guarded by a giant creature called the Songbird, and is imprisoned within her room, not knowing much about the outside world.  Elizabeth has a special talent of (amateurly) expanding tears/riffs in time-space, which could be used as a very helpful weapon for whoever is in possession of her.  The current state of Columbia is that of a civil war.  So your objective at the beginning of the game is essentially to find and rescue Elizabeth without getting the two of you killed by either faction in the war, the heavy hitters, or the Songbird.

I have heard some mixed reviews about this game; some say it was overhyped, other agree with most reviewers in their complete enjoyment of the game.  I personally have yet to play Infinite, and won't play until this summer, late May at the earliest.  However, I am still able to sit back and admire the complete artistry that was used to make this game.  The location, characters, and overall storyline are a revolutionary new step for first person shooter games, and I cannot wait until I can be a part of it.

For more information, here's a link to the official website: http://www.bioshockinfinite.com/home/

Best Wishes!
     K

No comments:

Post a Comment